Think about a miniature helicopter with you as the pilot. Imagine it complete with a live camera that lets you enjoy a wide bird’s eye view of our beautiful earth.
Add to that a live feed video of all that's going on beneath the heli as you fly it.
Isn't there anything more interesting than this for a drone enthusiast?
I have rounded up 7 best RC helicopters with a camera-based on their performance, capacity, reputation, among other factors. Here's an overview of each, from the technical specs to the pros and cons:
|Product||Age||Batteries Capacity||Camera Quality||Range (meters)||Rating (out of 5)|
|Holy Stone HS120D FPV Drone||14 - 20 years||1200 mAh LiPo battery||180mAh battery – 20-15 minutes of flight time||1080p Full HD camera with 120° FOV||4.4|
|Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone||14 years and up||3.7V 1000mAh LiPo battery||380mAh – 18 minutes of flight time||1080P HD FPV Camera with 120° FOV Lens||4.3|
|SNAPTAIN S5C Wi-Fi FPV Drone||10 years and up||3.7v 550mAh LiPo battery||18 minutes of flight time||720p HD Camera with a 60° FOV||4.5|
|WLTOYS S977 3.5 Ch Metal Radio Control Gyro RC Helicopter||14 years and up||3.7V 280mAh LiPo battery||16 minutes of flight time||1.3MP camera ( 720P)||3.3|
|HASAKEE Q8 FPV Quadcopter with HD Camera||8 years and up||3.7v 750mAh LiPo battery||260mAh battery -12 minutes of flight time.||720P camera||4.1|
|Cheerwing U12S Mini RC Helicopter||14 years and up||3.7V 350mah LiPo battery||12 minutes of flight time||480P @ 20fps||4.2|
|Toyen RC Quadcopter||12 years and up||3.7V 750 mAh batteries||200mAh battery – 8-12 minutes of flight time||720P FOV 120° Wi-Fi camera||4.0|
1. Holy Stone HS120D FPV Drone with Camera
Here's what's special about the Holy Stone HS120D. You can play all you want with it then later show off the spectacular FPV live videos and mind-blowing pictures it's known to take.
Expect to see wider surroundings captured in all their splendor.
What's more, flying this heli doesn't necessarily need the help of your hands. Activate the follow me mode and the drone will follow you wherever you go.
Even though it's lightweight, Holystone HS120D is well built and generally handles very well. For anyone looking for a super functional quadcopter that packs all the quality features we all cherish, this is your best bet.
Here’s a short video showing how the follow-me mode works:
But if that's not your cup of tea, just switch to tap-fly. Create the flying path and leave the rest of the work to the drone. More interesting features include:
- An optimized 1080p camera with a 120° FOV
- Uses a 1200 mAh battery and takes about 120minutes to recharge
- Has GPS positioning for safer flying, altitude hold, and one key start/landing
- Boasts a 300 meters control range
- Expect 18 minutes of flight time
- Super easy for beginners to fly, thanks to the headless mode, one key function, and altitude hold
- Completely zero lag or delays due to upgraded transmission
- No need to save photos or videos to an SD card; the app saves them all to your phone
- East to carry around as it's foldable and comes in an ergonomic design
- Relatively longer flight time
- A rechargeable remote adds to its convenience
- It's slightly more expensive compared to its competitors. Nevertheless, it offers great value for money.
- It would have been nice if Holy Stone added two extra batteries
2.Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone
Meet the HS110D RC drone, another masterpiece from Holy Stone that has won the hearts of many drone enthusiasts. Do you long for stunning aerial photographs and videos that will leave everyone in awe?
Trust the 1080p FPV camera baked into this drone to deliver just that.
On top of that, the drone handles so well and has remarkable stability in mid-air. Credit for this goes to the altitude hold function.
Unlike many drones in its category and even above, the HS110 boasts better a build quality that enhances its durability and capacity to survive punishing crashes and collisions.
Overall, the HS110D is a feature-rich quad that's especially great for beginners.
Anyone looking for the best RC helicopter with camera and LCD screen or to take their aerial photography or videography work to the next level will also find this quad just perfect.
- Comes with a built-in 1080p HD FOV 120 ° camera
- Has a mobile control functionality
- It's powered by a 3.7V 1000mAh battery
- Has a flight range of about 120 meters
- Packs a gravity control function
- Flies for about 10 minutes before the battery runs out
- Has a video transmission range of 60 meters
- A warning alarm to alert you when the battery is low
- One key function, combined with voice control, and headless mode make it easy to fly for beginners
- Can make 3D flips, which adds fun to your flying experience
- You can map a trajectory flight and the drone will follow the set path
- Make the relevant gestures and the drone camera will respond and act accordingly
- Boasts an informative clear display where you can easily spot the speed mode and video functionalities
- Addition of the landing gear allows for a safer landing
- Its motor takes a while to cool down.
3. SNAPTAIN S5C Wi-Fi FPV Drone with 720P HD Camera
Snaptain S5C is a bestseller and for a good reason. For a start, it delivers super clear aerial images and videos and flies great, regardless of who is behind the controller.
Kids and adults, beginners and pros, have all left great reviews about this drone.
Expect an incredible set of outstanding features and a smooth performance partly enabled by simplistic controls and multiple speed modes.
What's more, it's lightweight, easy to control, and remains an affordable option that offers more for less.
Snaptain continues to give its competitors a run for the money with this toy drone. If you are looking for a budget quality quadcopter with a camera, look no further than the Snaptain S5C.
- Runs on a 3.7v 550mAh LiPo battery that delivers 7-9 minutes of flight time
- Has a flight range of 80 meters
- Comes with a built-in 720p HD Camera with a 60° wide-angle lens
- Anti-collision barriers on each propeller enhance safety during crashes or collisions
- Boasts a 3D view mode
- Equipped with gravity control for balancing the drone during flight
- The battery takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour to fully charge
- Wi-Fi warning system
- Has an extra battery that lets you enjoy up to 20 minutes of flight time
- The ABS material adds to its sturdy build which makes it durable and able to take a lot of abuse
- One button function, altitude-hold, headless mode, and smart voice control make it a perfect fit for beginners
- Mind-blowing 360 ° flips and rolls
- You can design a flight path on your smartphone and the drone will do the rest of the flying
- You can enjoy the first-person view in 3D through VR glasses, making your experience immersive and surreal
- Tends to veer off course when flying but the clipping button can fix it
- Might not fly great under windy conditions
4.WLTOYS S977 RC Helicopter with Video Camera
S997 confidently towers over its competitors when it comes to top-grade RC helicopters with a video camera. Consumers mostly cherish it for its speed, video quality, and value.
Flying is an experience of sorts. It hovers steadily and could even turn on a dime. Activate the filming and the next thing to impress you will be the ease of operation and smooth footage.
What's more, the heli comes with a 512MB micro SD card to store all your pictures and videos.
WLTOYS S977 is well worth the money if you are looking for an affordable simple copter that doesn't disappoint.
- Built-in gyro for enhanced stability
- Built-in 1.3MP camera
- Runs on 3.7V 280mAh LiPo battery
- 5-Channels with a flight range of 10 meters
- Easy to maneuver for a beginner. Credit for this goes to the 3.5 channel control that lets you enjoy 6 navigable directions
- Can hold up to a bit of abuse, thanks to the sturdy metal frame
- Beautiful to look at night as you fly due to the LEDs that dot its structure
- Decent flight and charge time - 10 minutes and 45 minutes respectively
- Comes in clothed in sleek charcoal gray paint that adds to its aesthetics
- Crashing it several times could damage it completely
- It has plenty of tiny components that need extra care, especially if left to children
5. HASAKEE Q8 FPV Quadcopter with HD Camera
With a protective frame around it, the Haskee Q8 heli will run into hard objects, bounce around, and still fly like it's fresh out of the box. Should you damage it, you still have an option to order the extra parts kit.
That aside, this bird is so colorful and super easy to fly and while you are at it, you can turn on its high definition camera to have a quality bird's eye view as it flies.
Other than being very affordable, the HASAKEE Q8 is a capable RC helicopter that will serve you for many years to come.
- Flies for about 9 minutes before the battery runs out
- Has a remote control distance of 20 meters
- Runs on a modularized 750 mAh rechargeable battery that takes 50 minutes to recharge
- Uses a built-in 720P camera
- Made with a protective metal frame for enhanced durability
- Trajectory flight mode for designing a flight route map
- Gravity control mode
- Built to endure the most severe of punishments that could happen as you fly, making it a nice fit for amateur pilots;
- Addition of attitude hold adds to the simplicity of flying it and more stability during filming;
- It's a slick-looking RC heli with intense neon yellow lighting round it that makes night flying more fun;
- With gravity control mode, you only need to shift your phone to control the flight direction.
- Comprises small parts that could be dangerous to kids;
- Might not handle well in windy conditions.
6. Cheerwing U12S Mini RC Helicopter With Camera Remote Control With Live Camera For Kids And Adults
No matter your skill level, you can easily fly this bird like a pro while enjoying the best it has to offer. Top on the list of its exciting features is the Wi-Fi FPV transmission, complete with APP control.
Put simply, you can take nice photos or videos and view real-time footage of your flight straight from your phone.
Cheerwing also equipped it with a clever technology that gives it that coveted stability we all want for smooth photos and videos.
And should the blades that come with it fail to work, bent, or get broken, there's an extra set in the package to keep you going. Here are the rest of its great features.
Cheerwing U12S ticks the boxes of the best features you would want to see in a mini remote control helicopter with a live camera. It's a great buy not just for drone hobbyists and adults but also for your kids.
- Transmits real-time 480p video at a rate of 20fps
- Boasts image and video resolution of 640x480p
- Its original battery can give you 5-6 minutes of flight time and takes about an hour to recharge
- One key take-off/landing
- Emergency stop
- 4GHz radio frequency with a transmission distance of 30m
- It's powered by 3.7V 350mah LiPo Battery
- You can upgrade it with extra functions to intensify the fun
- The package includes a screwdriver for repairs and battery cover replacement/removal.
- Its app works with both Android and iPhone
- It's able to sound off warnings when the heli goes beyond the set range or the battery juice runs out
- Sturdy enough to survive punishing crashes, thanks to the metal frame and flexible blades
- The app only connects to the phone using Wi-Fi, meaning you can't connect to it without internet
7. Toyen RC Quadcopter
A good number of those who own the Toyen RC quadcopter are all over the moon with its outcome. In fact, it’s almost impossible to get a fantastic drone as this for its price.
Unlike most of the quads on the list, this one has wind-resistance qualities and stunt tumbling capabilities.
Its good performance can be attributed to the powerful electric motor, solid stability, and good battery life.
Toyen RC quadcopter takes pride in being a stable affordable bird that can match up to the performance of its senior counterparts.
The video and picture quality doesn't disappoint either.
- Has a remote control distance of 80-100 meters
- Utilizes 2.4GHz technology
- Uses a 720P FOV 120-° Wi-Fi camera
- Boasts a 6-axis flight control systems for increased stability
- Comes equipped with the headless mode and a one-key 360 ° roll
- Flies for about 15 minutes before the battery runs out
- Comes with guards that help to protect the blades and also add to its aesthetics
- Package includes spare propellers just in case the original ones get damaged
- The foldable propellers make it easy to travel or move around with it
- It's sturdy enough to withstand several crashes
- Designed to fly with ease even in windy conditions
- It's very advanced, making not so friendly to learner pilots, even though it has a beginner mode with limited functionalities
You'll soon quickly notice that the market is rife with good RC helicopters with a camera. Guess what's going to happen?
You'll probably be spoilt for choice. But figuring that out won't be the end of your nightmare. You'll want a heli that seems right for you just so that you don't end up with an option you'll regret buying later.
All these reasons are why you should spare some time to know and understand what matters when one is buying a remote control helicopter with an HD camera. Take a look:
1. Camera Features
As you have probably noticed, the cameras in the RC helis covered here have unique specifications. Field of view, frames per second, resolution, and live transmission dominate the list. HD cameras are known to take fascinating images and videos
What camera is ideal for you will depend on your experience and intended use. Establish where you fall in the following categories: pro, casual, hobbyist, or casual. Is the camera drone for recreational or professional use?
Once you have identified the intended use and where you fall in the mentioned categories, it should be easier to know the camera specifications to look out for.
RC helicopters require a bit of skill and learning to operate. Children, especially those below 14 years might take a while to get the hang of it. At the same time, there are helis designed for adults only. So before you add that item to your cart, check the recommended age.
Each of us would want to keep that bird in the air for some reasonable time before switching batteries or recharging the depleted one. That's why you should check the flight time and period it takes to recharge the battery.
RC helicopters come in different forms and varieties. Some are designed for indoor use, while others for the outdoors. Some varieties will perform exceptionally well at racing. Professional varieties are also available for those interested in aerial photography and videography. Then we have the hobby drones which are designed for those who simply want a toy heli for fun.
How far can the heli go? This is usually indicated in the product description. More range means more freedom and a chance to fly it further. This also matters especially if you plan to fly outdoors or use your drone for professional purposes. Note that conditions like wind, rain, or snow could interfere with the range.
If you are getting the heli for your child, then you should check the weight of the bird just to be sure it will be easier to lift and carry around. Also, relatively heavy helicopters tend to struggle during take-off.
What are the consumers saying? Amazon is the first place you will want to check for that. Look at both the good and bad reviews to have a good idea of what to expect.
8. Channels and frequencies
The channel determines the level of control and maneuverability you will have while flying the helicopter. 3 channels mean you will have less control - elevator, rudder, and throttle, while 4 channels imply more room for control- ailerons, plus the three other controls mentioned.
Frequency, on the other hand, is about making sure you don't interfere with other objects around you that also operate on a radio frequency. Most manufacturers use 2.4GHz
Other factors to add to your list include:
- Quality and performance
- Availability of parts
- Motor type
You can as well watch the video below on how to buy a drone to learn more:
Nothing beats a good time spent with something you love, like the best RC helicopter with a camera. That bird's eye view you've been longing for is now just a click away.
What's even better is that each of the products on this list is special in its own way. Provided you find the option that's right for your needs and requirements, then your dreams will surely come true.
Remember, the list is a culmination of thorough research that involved interviews and analysis of drone hobbyists and consumer reviews. Trust the helis to meet your expectations and deliver an experience you will live to cherish.
Leave a Comment